Aaah, the joy of banana bread. The smell of it envelopes the room and sucks you in. It’s comfort food.
When my bananas get too ripe I can't seem to throw them away. So I make banana bread with them. I have a really great recipe and use it all the time. It is so easy to make that now it’s just a quick whip up. This is how I do it:
8 tbs sweet butter (no salt) @ room temp
¾ cup sugar
1 cup unbleached, all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3 large, overripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ shelled walnuts, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease a 9x5x3in glass bread pan.
2. Cream butter with sugar until light & fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
3. Sift the all purpose flour, baking soda and salt, stir in whole-wheat flour and add to creamed mixture, mixing well.
4. Fold in mashed bananas, vanilla and walnuts.
5. Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 60 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 min then on rack.
This will make one loaf and its super good. I add a little love for extra flavor. That’s the “ho” part !